Unclaimed Money in Washington

In the vast landscape of financial management, unclaimed money often remains an overlooked treasure trove. Every year, countless Washington residents unknowingly leave behind sums of money that, over time, has accumulated across various public and private entities. Whether it’s a forgotten paycheck, an insurance refund, or a dormant bank account, these unclaimed assets are safeguarded by the state until claimed by their rightful owners. This article provides a comprehensive guide on how to navigate the process of claiming unclaimed money in Washington.

Unclaimed money

Looking for Unclaimed


Check to see how you can claim lost cash and property.

Looking for Unclaimed


Check to see how you can claim lost cash and property.

Searching for unclaimed property

To start your search for unclaimed property in Washington, follow these step-by-step instructions:

1. Open your web browser and go to the official MoneyBot5000 unclaimed property website.

2. Initiate a search: On the homepage, look for the search section. Click the search or start button to move to the next step.

3. Enter your information: You’ll be prompted to enter your name or the name of a business or nonprofit. Enter your last name first, followed by your first name without a comma separating them (for example, “Doe John”). You can also search by the organization name if you’re looking for property belonging to a business or nonprofit.

4. Refine your search, if necessary. If the initial search yields too many results, use the additional filters provided to narrow down the list. These can include the city or zip code associated with the unclaimed property.

5. Review the results.
Search results will display a list of properties that match the name provided.

Types of unclaimed money

  • Dormant bank accounts: Savings and checking accounts that have had no activity for an extended period and cannot be connected to the account holder.

  • Uncashed checks: Wages, dividends, insurance payouts, or other forms of checks that haven’t been cashed within a specified time.

  • Forgotten utility deposits: Security deposits paid to utility companies that were not claimed after the account was closed.

  • Unredeemed certificates of deposit: Certificates of deposit that have reached maturity but have not been cashed in.

  • Stocks and bonds: Shares or bonds for which dividends, interests, or profits have not been claimed.

  • Safe deposit box contents: Property left in safe deposit boxes that have been abandoned.

  • Insurance policies: Life insurance proceeds unclaimed after the policyholder’s death, or other types of insurance refunds.

If you’ve discovered potential unclaimed money in Washington, follow these steps to reclaim what’s yours.

Filing a claim in Washington

File a claim online -You can often file a claim directly through the state website by following the provided instructions. Ensure that you correctly fill in all the necessary details to initiate your claim.

Claim form requisition -After you’ve initiated your claim, the website will direct you on how to proceed. For most claims, the Department of Revenue will email you a claim form. In some cases, claims are instantly approved online.

Complete the claim form -You’ll typically need to complete the Application for Payment of Unclaimed Funds (Form 1340). This is a standard step in the process, and you must provide accurate information to expedite your claim.

Provide additional documentation -Some claims might require further proof of ownership or identity. This may include, but isn’t limited to, Form AO213P: Request for Unclaimed Fund Payee Information/TIN Certification. Make sure to gather all the documentation requested.


In the journey to reclaim what is rightfully yours, the steps are straightforward but require attention to detail. Begin by visiting MoneyBot5000’s official unclaimed property website, a tool designed to help you discover whether you have property waiting to be claimed. Here, you can search using your name, the name of your business, or a nonprofit you’re associated with. This simple search can help uncover assets from dormant accounts, uncashed checks, security deposits, or other funds that you may have forgotten. Now that you’re aware of the process and the resources at your disposal, it’s time to take action.

Washington Department of Revenue - Unclaimed Property Division

Unclaimed money


Department of Revenue, PO Box 47477, Olympia WA 98504-7477

Unclaimed money

Phone Number


Unclaimed money

Office Hours

8 a.m.- 5 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday and 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Wednesday. Closed on holidays.

Unclaimed money

Start Your Unclaimed Money Search

You may qualify to claim missing money. Search now.

Looking for Unclaimed Money?

Check to see how you can claim lost cash and property.